The Govt. Maulana Azad Memorial Post Graduate College has completed 65th year of its glorious existence in September, 2019. It is dedicated to realization of lofty aims, exaltation of human personality, virtues and ideals, development of incentive and creative powers of students, discipline and moral values which are the preserver of the human race.
This premier institution takes pride in its achievement as a celebrated temple of learning.
The college started as the erstwhile Prince of Wales College on 23 April 1907. After Independence of the country the college was renamed as Govt. Gandhi Memorial College, Jammu on 4 June 1948. To meet the need of growing number of students, this college was bifurcated into Arts and Science Colleges on 20 September 1954. Govt. Gandhi Memorial Arts College was shifted to its new premises on 23 September 1960 and was renamed as Govt. Maulana Azad Memorial College in the memory of the first education minister of the country Maulana Abul Kalam Azad.
Initially only Arts subjects were introduced. Later on Science subjects namely Physics, Chemistry, Geography, Geology and Electronics were inducted in a phased manner. Post-Graduation in Mathematics has been introduced since 2003, BCA since 2009, BBA since 2010 and Post-Graduation in Music since 2017. At present the college has twenty separate departments including BBA and BCA functioning and two Post Graduate departments: Mathematics and Music.
The college was affiliated to the University of Jammu till 2016. At present it is a constituent college of the Cluster University of Jammu.
The Govt. M.A.M College had Camp / Evening shift which came into being from the session 1990-91 to facilitate the academic courses of migrant students who migrated to Jammu from the valley till 2011.
The College building has an imposed "facade" evenly balanced right and left wings emanating from the central dome - capped entrance which bears a faint resemblance to theGothic architecture. A science block, Earth science block, New Block which hosts Mathematics, BBA, BCA and Music Departments, a Canteen complex with Recreation hall, Boys hostel block, Girls Hostel Block, Library block, Auditorium and a Sports Complex stand apart from the main structure. A few Chinar trees, a rarity in this region, cover the foreground. Majestically tall Eucalyptus trees, standing as sentinels on either side of the approach road, offer a guard of honor to all and sundry high and low.
A beautiful dome at the top of main building adds a feather to the beautification of the institution.
The back of the main building has a separate canteen for the students. The Earth Sciences block has two departments – Geography and Geology, having separate and well equipped laboratories. The science block has three departments of Physics, Chemistry and Electronics. All these departments have separate well equipped laboratories with modern hi-tech facilities and well-furnished class rooms. The New Block has four departments- BCA, BBA, Music and Mathematics, having well equipped hi-tech facilities and well-furnished class rooms.
The Administrative block adds grandeur to the already existing majestic building of the college. The Common Room for Girls is a recent addition for the convenience of female students; however the Girl’s Hostel, Auditorium, Swimming pool and New Sports Complex has been completed. The Principal, the administrative head of the institute has his office in a separate building known as the Administrative Block. The block has IQAC and offices for support staff of the college and a conference hall equipped with the latest technology. This block is situated on the left side of the main building.
The butterfly shaped college library has at present a collection of about 60,000 books. There is a reading room attached to the college library. About 100 different magazines, newspapers and journals are subscribed by the college. The college library is very well equipped with the facilities like Xerox copier, internet facility available for the convenience of the students.
Besides, the services of N.S.S. volunteers are also utilized for inculcating the habit of cleanliness amongst the students. To inculcate a sense of discipline in the youth and to develop their character, the ideal of service and capacity for leadership in addition to fostering a spirit of camaraderie, the college provides facilities for NCC training to the volunteer students. Also a unit of Indian Red Cross is working in the college with an objective to serve the humanity in general and the nation in particular during natural calamities and disaster
The college functions to impart education to a maximum number of students. The college also acts up as an IGNOU Study Center with more than 1200 students on roll for various correspondence courses like Bachelor Preparatory Programme, B.A., B.Com. and B.Sc., Certificate Programme in Laboratory Techniques, Certificate Programme in the Teaching of Primary School Mathematics.
The topography of the College is exquisite as it is opposite to the University of Jammu on the bank of the river Tawi River and majestic Bahu fort in the back drop of Trikuta Hills over looking it.